Reporting to the Deputy Curator, the Digital and Audience Engagement Editor is responsible for enhancing and maintaining the Nieman Foundation’s profile online, ensuring that its fellowship opportunities, journalism, events, and other initiatives achieve greater impact on campus, nationally, and internationally.
The Digital and Audience Engagement Editor manages and maintains the websites of the Nieman Foundation and develops and implements digital strategies to promote the Foundation, its fellowships, and journalism across all platforms. Working with Nieman colleagues, current fellows, and alumni of the fellowship program, the Digital and Audience Engagement Editor leads initiatives to deepen Foundation relationships with existing audiences and reach new audiences through a lively, robust presence on social and mobile platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and emerging platforms.
- Manage and maintain the websites and CMS for Nieman Reports, Nieman Storyboard, and the Nieman Foundation, including posting and updating content, troubleshooting, and working with third-party designers, developers, and vendors
- Monitor, analyze and report on analytics for all Nieman’s websites, digital communications, and social media platforms and use these metrics/analytics to develop and implement effective social and audience engagement strategies for all Nieman sites
- Ensure Nieman maintains a regular, lively and relevant presence on all appropriate social media platforms, including Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and emerging platforms
- Video/audio record and photograph Nieman events and edit/post the files to Nieman sites and social media platforms, to ensure that Foundation events reach broader audiences
- Format and manage Nieman’s weekly and monthly newsletters and various email campaigns and event invitations
- Create and manage online registration and payment processes for Nieman events and the administration and application processes for Nieman awards
- Design digital and print marketing materials, including posters, signs, event programs, slide presentations, newsletters, annual reports, and online and print advertising
- Share best practice for search engine optimization and analytics with Nieman colleagues
- Support Nieman staff and fellows with their technology and digital needs (e.g., presentations, how to navigate Harvard, MIT, and Tufts course catalogs, troubleshooting, etc.) and serve as a liaison with Harvard’s IT department
- Write and proofread headlines/decks, captions, teasers, and other copy
Candidates MUST meet the following basic qualifications in order to be considered for this role:
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
- Minimum of 5 years audience/social media and journalism experience required.
Additional Qualifications and Skills:
- Proficiency in WordPress, Adobe Creative Cloud programs (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere, Audition), Word, Excel, HTML, and CSS.
- Proficiency in gathering and analyzing website analytics with Google Analytics, and familiarity with tracking social media reach and engagement on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and Flipboard.
- Proficiency in search engine optimization (SEO) for WordPress sites.
- Proficiency in using MailChimp to maintain audiences and send email campaigns to different groups.
- Proficiency in digital video and photography shooting and editing.
- Working knowledge of digital graphic design.
- Excellent written communication and organizational skills and commitment to the highest standards of journalistic accuracy and ethics.
During the current period of COVID-19 related restrictions, this position may start as a remote position, with the transition to onsite in Cambridge when the office reopens.
We continue to monitor the evolving COVID-19 and lifting of restrictions. We appreciate your understanding and flexibility with our interview process. We will be conducting interviews virtually for selected candidates until further notice.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.