Over the past year, Nieman Reports has been covering the urgent challenges and opportunities the coronavirus pandemic, the movement for racial justice, and the volatile media environment present to newsrooms. We are now looking for our next senior editor to help take our coverage of thought leadership in journalism further.
Published by the Nieman Foundation for Journalism at Harvard University, Nieman Reports is a website and quarterly print magazine that produces deeply reported feature stories as well as opinion columns offering insight into and analysis of the crucial issues facing journalism today.
Reporting to Nieman’s Deputy Curator, who is also the Editor of Nieman Reports, the Senior Editor is responsible for developing, commissioning, and editing ambitious feature stories, editorial packages, and opinion columns. The Senior Editor also manages the production process for Nieman Reports’ print edition, from preparing production schedules to coordinating the efforts of the editorial, design, and printing/distribution teams. The Senior Editor collaborates with the editorial staff of Nieman’s other publications, Nieman Storyboard and Nieman Journalism Lab, and other Foundation colleagues to amplify the work of all three titles. We are especially interested in applicants who will bring diverse perspectives to our stories.
- Develop, commission, and edit ambitious feature stories, editorial packages, opinion columns, and periodic special projects that are responsive to current issues and trends impacting journalism.
- Manage the editorial calendar and production schedule for Nieman Reports, in print and online, including managing communications with writers, the print designer, and pre-press production and printer vendors.
- Use audience analytics to inform editorial decisions.
- Write sharp digital and print headlines and other display copy, while keeping SEO in mind.
- Expand Nieman Reports’ roster of freelance writers to ensure that contributors are representative of the industry as a whole and the diversity of the audiences it serves.
- Work with the Nieman Reports editor and editorial specialist as well as the digital and audience engagement editor to develop and execute creative editorial and social media strategies for Nieman Reports’ stories, monthly newsletter, and multimedia projects.
- Assign work to the Nieman Reports editorial specialist and collaborate with other Nieman staff to amplify the Foundation’s journalism and deepen its relationships with existing audiences and reach new audiences.
- Copyedit the digital stories and print editions of Nieman Reports, coordinate the fact-checking process, and occasionally assist with online production tasks and InDesign files.
Candidates MUST meet the following basic qualifications in order to be considered for this role:
- Bachelor’s degree and at least five years of editorial experience.
Additional Qualifications and Skills:
- Collaborative and collegial mindset, idea generator, adept at simultaneously managing multiple projects and meeting multiple deadlines.
- Excellent copyediting skills.
- Experience with WordPress, Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign), Word, Excel, Tweetdeck, and/or Buffer.
- Excellent written communication and organizational skills and commitment to the highest standards of journalistic accuracy and ethics.
During the current period of COVID-19-related restrictions, this job may start as a remote position, with a transition to onsite work in Cambridge when the office reopens.
We continue to monitor the evolving COVID-19 news and the lifting of restrictions. We appreciate your understanding and flexibility with our interview process. We will be conducting interviews virtually for selected candidates until further notice.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.