AP photographer and 2007 Nieman Fellow Anja Niedringhaus was shot and killed April 4 by an Afghan police officer while covering the run-up to the elections. In this photo essay from the Spring 2012 Nieman Reports, the 2005 Pulitzer Prize winner, who had worked on the frontlines of many major conflicts over the past two decades, reflects on work from her 2012 book “At War.”
- Read the AP story of Anja Niedringhaus’s death.
- Read “Emotions Speak Through Images” from the Summer 2007 Nieman Reports.
- Read “Remembering Anja Niedringhaus” on Nieman Storyboard.
- View a selection of her photos from Afghanistan on The Atlantic’s website.
- Nieman friends and colleagues remember Anja.
- Watch a video discussion about reporting risks in Afghanistan.