Summer 2005

Support for International Journalism Training

By Jerome Aumente
RELATED ARTICLE
"Lessons in Teaching Foreign Journalists"
- Jerome Aumente
Many organizations contribute to international training efforts. In the past, funding has come from a variety of sources, some private, others governmental. The United States Information Agency (USIA), since folded into the public diplomacy wing of the U.S. State Department, launched major programs in Central and Eastern Europe. The Humphrey Fellowships and the Ron Brown Fellowships also support international journalists through the State Department. The International Media Fund was created to fund major training and resources to newspapers and broadcasters. The International Media Training Center of the International Broadcasting Bureau-Voice of America expanded its workshops in the United States and overseas, as well as its professional development year fellowship for journalists.

Private foundations and organizations have also provided key support for these programs. The leaders in this effort include The Open Society programs of George Soros, the work of the Freedom Forum and its former Media Studies Center, Internews, a Californiabased media organization IREX, the International Research & Exchanges program and its ProMedia projects, training centers launched by James Greenfield, formerly of The New York Times, the International Center for Journalists in Washington, D.C., the Meridian International Center, and the National Endowment for Democracy. Other programs that provide education and support for international journalists include the Nieman Foundation at Harvard, the Knight Fellowships at Stanford, the Knight-Wallace Journalism Fellowship at Michigan, the Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship at Maryland, and the Jack R. Howard Fellowships in International Journalism at Columbia’s Graduate School of Journalism.

In my case, Rutgers University encouraged the school’s involvement and provided a nurturing environment for our institute. When our program was in its infancy, I wrote about our efforts in The Chronicle of Higher Education and that article sparked an offer of help from Bill Moyers, the public broadcaster, who chaired the Florence and John Schumann Foundation. A grant of $300,000 of seed money allowed me to leverage our efforts and led to other foundation and government projects totaling several million dollars over the intervening years.

12 Comments on Support for International Journalism Training
safdar dawar says:
May 8, 2012 at 1:52am
I am safdar dawar president tribal union of journalists FATA Pakistan, our union have 250 journalists working in the war zone area and lost our 12 colleagues in short time we need security,capacity building,social media and conflict reporting trainings. www.tuj.com.pk
Funmi Adeoye says:
August 6, 2011 at 8:21am
I am a Nigerian, currently working as an Editor/Reporter at the Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria. In other to improve my journalistic skills,am willing to undergo any training that would enhance my profession.
Akinwunmi Kole-Dawodu says:
May 15, 2011 at 2:03pm
I am a Nigerian Journalist working with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), i will appreciate it if you can update me with your training programmes for 2011/2012. thank you
Throble Suah says:
October 14, 2010 at 9:27am
I am a Liberian print journalist who is wishing to under go media training programme any where.
Radha krishnan says:
March 31, 2010 at 6:46am
I am a journalist, media consultant and the course coordinator at the 42-year old Institute of Journalism run by the Capital Press Club, Trivandrum, Kerala, India.
We would be very happy to partner with you in running training programmes for the media personnel as well as the general public.
Lutfi Sheriff Mohamed says:
March 2, 2010 at 3:40am
I am Somali journalist working in Mogadishu-Somalia with international news agency –German Press Agency. I also work as freelancer to Los Angeles Times. I would like to attend your training courses.
katerina grupce says:
February 18, 2010 at 7:04am
I am a Macedonian broadcast journalist, working for the newsroom at the public broadcast service MTV, and I wish I can attend one of your trainings.
zachariah khadudu says:
December 3, 2009 at 5:54am
I am a Kenyan journalists with an Internataional NGO wishing to attend any of your trainings
Sahr Morris Jr says:
October 22, 2009 at 4:44pm
I am a Sierra Leone journalist who wish to attend any of your training
Roselyne obala says:
October 19, 2009 at 6:09am
Am a kenyan print journalist and interested in undergoing your training
Okedi Susan says:
September 11, 2009 at 8:30am
Iam a Ugandan Radio Broadcaster wishing to undergo further training,conferences
Lewis Konoe says:
September 2, 2009 at 6:23am
I am a Liberian broadcast jourlist wishing to under go media training.
Submit a Comment

Enter the words above: * Enter the numbers you hear: *
Switch to audio Switch to image
Thank you for your comment. It will be published after it is approved by an editor. Read our comments policy »